Thursday, November 5, 2009

The power of the dollar

I seem to be having revelations on the daily, albeit small ones. I've realized today that I've lost a certain something in my move to Paris: my desire, need, and will to buy things. Before I left home (and truly for the past 8 months) I took an inventory of my life, of the things that own me (or that I own), and the things that I truly need - and I pared it down. I had a habit when I lived in the states to look at discount websites like bensbargains.net or passwird.com, or the better known woot.com just to see what geeky gadgets were on sale. And as is normal when one develops the habit of looking at merchandise, one also develops the habit to rationalize more purchases than necessary. So I would buy things if they were a good deal, because hell, after all, I couldn't afford NOT to buy it! (that one's for you, Joe). But now, in Paris, I have all my basics.. clothing, food, my computer, some books, and a few video games / movies. Past that, I don't really "want" for anything, so I don't really buy anything.

In fact, I've lost the urge to buy altogether. Now that I don't work, don't earn a twice monthly paycheck, I guard my bank account a little more closely. I earn a bit of money with my part time work, but that's to pay the rent and pay for my activities. The money I have in the bank is my only real savings, and I don't want to see it depleted. Maybe this is a sign of responsibility? I'm not entirely sure... but in any case when you don't earn, when you simply deplete, you begin to regard things in a different way. I still look at my websites, but not on a daily basis, and more for amusement and to keep "current" with the price of things.. but I rarely buy.

Well that's it, nothing too deep, but it's a change I've noticed in myself. And that's why you're reading this blog, isn't it? ;)

No comments: