Saturday, September 26, 2009

French Student Proper

So I passed my little oral exam in French with flying colors! The friendly professors confirmed my "advanced" level of French language, and placed me into my classes - all 21 hours per week - holy crap. I'll be taking 12 hours of French language instruction and a mixture of 9 hours of culture classes, The History of France (1890 - 1962), History of Cinema: The New Wave, and a class called Parcours Culturel, where we learn all about general culture and even take a few trips to visit local centres of interest. Not bad at all! In fact, the ladies who registered me for my classes kept asking how I knew to register for all the "good ones." It was just a gut feeling, but I guess I did pretty well. I'm more than a bit nervous to begin learning in French, but, well, here goes! I have 2 classes on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, from 9-12 and 2-5, and then 1 class on Wed from 2-5, and no class on Friday. Not a bad schedule at all.

I start on Monday. This Monday. Vacation is offically over and the reality of my new life is slowly creeping up on me like... like something creepy. But in a good way! If that's possible. Any of that old fear I had is actually leaving me.. I know I'm going to be tired - not of the language or the jetlag, but just of actually speaking the language for 6 hours a day. It's amazing how using your brain makes you tired, but if I'm actually flexing that muscle more than I have these past months I'll be thoroughly happy. These new courses can only bring good things.

Well.. off we go to FINALLY try to get my cell phone plan set up, with a beautiful new iPhone 3Gs, French style. Wish me luck!

No comments: