Saturday, September 12, 2009

D-Day

I'm moving to France. I don't think that's quite sunk in yet. I have my student visa, I've gained 6 lbs of stress weight, and I quit my job, but I haven't recognized the simple fact that I'm moving to France. This morning was met with many welcome surprises: remembering where i put my brown leather gloves, packing two perfectly weighted 50 lb bags, the joy of Air Canada travels (who knew?) and a gentle drizzle to help me as I packed the car. With some kisses, hugs, a few tears, and a last minute Subway tuna sub, I was on my way through security and into those familiar Newark Airport Terminals. Sidebar, by the way, to say that the more well-traveled I become, the more I appreciate Newark Airport. Now some may say it's disorganized and overbearing, but try traveling through Fiumicino airport in Italy, or Tainin airport in lower Taiwan and you'll start to see why I love the always under construction Newark.

And as I start this blog I'm still contemplating its purpose in my adventure.. is it for me or for my friends and family? Can it be for both? I've made the decision to focus my writings on food. I think that's a generally well-liked subject, and it's a little known fact that France is full of it - they even have some pretty tasty stuff. But I don't just want to focus on food, so I'll certainly be heaping on a healthy dose of travels, books, aperos, general criticism of the French and so on.

All I know for the moment is that I've found a measure of peace in taking this step. Sure I'm feeling almost every emotion at once, fear, nervousness, happiness, stress, uncertainty, anticipation, hopefulness, joy, doubt, but overall I know I've made the right decision. A decision only reinforced by the number of emails I received from colleagues, family, and friends congratulating me and wishing me well. What a wonderful network of people I have. I hope I live up to the endless love and support they show me. For now, I'm off to explore Toronto airport and burn the next 5 hours of free time.

No comments: